Course Options: 1 Day, Half Day, Twilight
Recommended Max People: 25
Full day from: £980.00 + VAT to £1280.00 + VAT
Half day from: £580.00 + VAT to £830.00 + VAT
Add additional participant for as little as £33.00 + VAT per person per day
Please Note: Course costs are based on 15 participants
This course can be tailored to your individual requirements
Spelling, Punctuation And Grammar: Developing A Whole School Approach: Primary
“Clear, well organised content with excellent activities. Thoroughly enjoyable.”(Judith, Derbyshire May 2014)
The course is designed to help participants to develop a consistent whole school approach to the teaching of spelling, punctuation and grammar. The expectations for each year group will be explored and candidates will be given appropriate games and activities that can be used with each of the year groups.
The course looks at the ways in which schools can ensure effective teaching in preparation for the Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar test at the end of KS2.
If you only need to book one or two places
If you only require one or two course places, then you may wish to attend the course at our head office in Staffordshire. To go straight to the correct page, please CLICK HERE
By the end of the course participants will:
- Develop a whole-school approach to the teaching of spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Have guidance on the end of year expectations for spelling, punctuation and grammar for each year group in the Primary school.
- Have appropriate ideas, games and activities they can use to teach spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Look at the end of KS2 assessment for Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar.
- Use texts and extracts from texts to teach the 3 areas.
Detailed course outline and session time table
- Introduction: Developing a whole school approach to the teaching of spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Expectations for each year group.
- Teaching phonics and spelling in a structured way with practical games and activities for each year group.
- Teaching grammar from FS to Y6.
- Practical games and activities appropriate to Primary School children.
- Teaching punctuation from FS to Y6.
- Practical games and activities.
- The SPG test at the end of KS2.
- Where and how to teach spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Teaching all 3 in context, in an appropriate way
- Using texts in FS, KS1 and KS2 to teach spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Audits for the teaching of spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Tutor information and feedback
The tutor is an experienced Primary Literacy Consultant. She has taught across the Primary age range; Foundation Stage, Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2. For twelve years, she worked as a Primary Literacy Consultant for a local authority until becoming an independent consultant in 2012. Her areas of expertise include raising standards in literacy, the teaching of reading and writing, subject leader support and accelerating progress in literacy. She is known and respected for her clear and succinct advice on what the next steps should be to improve the teaching of literacy. She is passionate about improving the teaching of literacy in Primary Schools and delivering lively, valuable training to enable teachers to deliver first class literacy for all children.