Course Options: 1 Day
Recommended Max People: 25
Full day from: £980 + VAT to £1280 + VAT
Half day from: £780 + VAT to £980 + VAT
Add additional participant for as little as £33 + VAT per person per day
Please Note: Course costs are based on 15 participants
This course can be tailored to your individual requirements
New to performance management? A guide to appraising non-teaching staff
Develop performance management skills; plan, monitor and conduct performance reviews and get the best from non-teaching staff
The workshop is designed for Managers and headteachers who wish to improve their skills in conducting one-to-one performance reviews as part of a performance management process. The course will consider the skills needed for carrying out effective performance reviews, listening, questioning, gathering information and evidence, rating and feedback. It will also look at the stages of a performance review meeting, whether it is regular supervision or the annual appraisal.
In addition, specific guidelines for setting objectives will be explored. Applications of these skills and techniques to specific situations generated by participants will be discussed and addressed. Performance review meetings will be role-played in small groups.
Staff including Headteachers and governors who have to carry out performance management reviews, half-yearly and any other regular one-to-one reviews of non-teaching staff for example caretakers, catering staff and lunchtime supervisors, teaching assistants, crossing patrol person, playground supervisors etc, as part of a performance management process.
At the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
- Identify the key stages and individual responsibilities within a performance review process.
- Describe the purpose of performance ratings and how to apply them consistently.
- Apply a robust model for performance management.
- Deliver effective feedback & explore performance issues.
- Identify development outcomes and appropriate learning interventions.
- Introductions and overview of the day.
- Identifying why we have performance management processes.
- Review of the components of 1:1 meetings, including listening and questioning skills.
- Preparing for the appraisal meeting. Collecting and evaluating data.
- Assessing motivation and ability. Role play exercises to assess data and rate. Setting and documenting objectives.
- Role – Play performance management situations and their solutions.
- Development planning.
- Action planning.
“Garry kept us motivated throughout the day- lots of involvement and interaction.”
“Very clearly presented with informative booklet and powerpoint. I would recommend it to others”.
“Feel more confident when doing appraisals even though the same difficulties still exist”.
“Garry was very informative and helped explore ideas/ thinking. Excellent- would certainly recommend it”.
“The tutor was excellent and very knowledgeable in the course material. Training was relaxed and not too ‘hard going’ but very informative’.
“Excellent venue, relaxed atmosphere, friendly and helpful staff”.