Course Options: 1 Day
Recommended Max People: 30
Full day from: £980 + VAT to £1280 + VAT
Half day from: NA + VAT to NA + VAT
Add additional participant for as little as £33 + VAT per person per day
Please Note: Course costs are based on 15 participants
This course can be tailored to your individual requirements
Inspiring poetry in the primary school
Aimed at Class teachers, Literacy Subject Leaders, SMT and Headteachers in the Primary school, this course is designed to help participants develop a consistent whole school approach to the teaching of poetry in reading, writing and the spoken word, meeting the National Curriculum requirements.
This course is designed to help participants develop a consistent whole school approach to the teaching of poetry in reading, writing and the spoken word. The expectations for each year group will be explored and candidates will be given appropriate games and activities that can be used with and across year groups. The course looks at ways in which schools can ensure effective teaching of poetry, meeting the National Curriculum requirements.
By the end of the course participants will:
- * develop a whole school approach to the teaching of poetry.
- * have guidance on the end of year expectations for poetry in the Primary School.
- * have appropriate ideas, games and activities they can use in school tomorrow to teach poetry.
- * be knowledgeable of author studies to teach poetry.
- * be able to develop the use of poetry across the whole school curriculum.
- * develop an awareness of up-to-date resources for teaching poetry in the Primary School.
Detailed course outline and session time table
Session 1 9:30-10:45
- * Introduction: Developing a whole school approach to the teaching of poetry
- * Expectations for each year group
- * Types of poetry - ways to teach them using a variety of games and activities
- * Performance Poetry
- * Author studies
- * Motivating and enthusing children to write poetry
- * When and how to teach poetry
- * Teaching poetry in context across the curriculum
- * Audit for teaching poetry
- * Action planning