Course Options: 3 Days plus course work
Recommended Max People: 12
Full day from: Cost for the 3 day course:£2640 + VAT to £3990 + VAT
Half day from: Cost for six half days £4080 + VAT to £5880 + VAT
Add additional participant for as little as £50 + VAT per person per day
Please Note: Course costs are based on 12 participants
This course can be tailored to your individual requirements
Developing Outstanding Middle Leaders to Drive School Improvement : Mentored 3 day course
Aimed at: This course is aimed at middle managers including subject and phase leaders, leaders of departments or school improvement teams and anyone with leadership responsibility. The course is suitable for practitioners from Nursery, Infant, Primary, Junior, Middle and Secondary schools. It is appropriate for those from mainstream schools, academies, special and independent schools. The course is not appropriate for deputies or assistant headteachers.
Course details: BENEFITS TO THE SCHOOL The course is designed to help the school to meet specific criteria identified within the inspection handbook, to show that the school is:
- developing the quality of middle leadership,
- facilitating the succession planning and development of future leaders in the school
- developing the capacity of it’s middle leaders to bring about further improvement
- ensuring that middle leaders pursue excellence, modelling professional standards in all of their work
- ensuring the accuracy of middle leaders’ monitoring and evaluation skills
BENEFITS TO PARTICIPANTS:
- UNDERSTAND the roles and responsibilities of a middle leader
- GAIN a deeper understanding of the self-evaluation process and it’s links to school improvement
- BECOME proficient at making and communicating judgements about pupil outcomes, provision, and leadership and management.
- DEVELOP the basic data handling skills used to monitor and evaluate attainment, progress, and achievement.
- ACQUIRE the necessary work sampling skills to quality assure teacher assessment and validate judgements about pupil progress.
- INTRODUCE essential lesson observation skills used during focused observations.
- LEAD a successful school improvement project
- ESTABLISH the link between evaluation and school improvement planning and present a practical model to support the planning process.
- KNOW your own leadership strengths and your priorities for development
- DEMONSTRATE leadership effectiveness through school improvement work
- BENEFIT from a tutor who is an inspector and an experienced Headteacher
This rigorous three day course helps leaders and managers understand the practical aspects of their role and acquire the basic skills used by inspectors to evaluate performance, make judgements, and identify priorities for improvement. These skills are transferable across phases and in different settings. The course is designed to provide developmental support to each participant over the duration of the course. It is practical and skill based and has practical benefits to the school. Participants will plan and lead on an aspect of school improvement pertinent to their role in school and will receive individual and group tutorial support to enhance each participant’s leadership effectiveness. They will also have access to a toolkit (CD Rom) of strategies and tools to use to support their on going leadership development.
Method of Tuition: Mixture of tutor led discussion, practical activities and tutorial style.
By the end of the course participants will:
- Have a deeper understanding of the self-evaluation process and its link to school improvement
- Be aware of the challenges presented as a middle leader and an appreciation of the demands of such a role
- Have led a successful school improvement project
- Be able to articulate their own leadership strengths and areas for development and reflecting on their learning to date
- Understand the importance of effective monitoring that contributes to effective self-evaluation, including data analysis and tracking
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in teaching through observation
- Develop a robust evidence base to support school improvement work
Detailed Session Outline of all 12 Sessions
Explore the role of middle leadership
- Leadership or management
- Inspection criteria for leadership
- Grade descriptors
- Explore current challenges
Principles and process of self-evaluation
- School improvement and school development
- Features of the communication genre
- Link to inspection criteria
Self-evaluation and school improvement
- Integrating school self-evaluation with school improvement planning
- Producing SEF documents
School Improvement project/ presentation
- Link to current SIP
- Identify success criteria and evidence to demonstrate leadership effectiveness
- Discuss content of presentation
- Explore leadership characteristics
- Baseline current level of competence
- Create SWOT analysis
- Identify areas for leadership development
Monitoring/ data analysis/ tracking
- Profiling progress
- Progression mapping
- Links to teaching and learning
- Profiling progress across the school
- Calculating annual value-added
School improvement tools
Explore range of tools to achieve the following:
- create a shared vision
- analyse provision
- explore root causes
- agree priorities
- generate solutions
- toolkit CD rom
School improvement project
- Tutorial time
- Action planning/ developing evidence base
- Identify leadership learning between Day 1 and 2
Developing lesson observation skills
- The quality of teaching in the school
- Observing learning
- The purpose of the lesson
- Characteristics of effective learning
- Work scrutiny during observations
Leading and managing people
- Identify personality types
- Symptoms exhibited by ‘difficult behaviours’
- Consider motivation techniques for each type
- Reflect on any current situations
- Identify strategies to move forward
Evidencing leadership effectiveness
- Repeat leadership characteristics audit
- Identify leadership changes
- Impact data
- Summary report to present to SLT/ governors
Leadership learning presentation
- 7 min presentation to group to share leadership learning
- Audience write bullet pointed feedback using prompt sheet
Tutor Information and course feedback
Paul is an experienced headteacher, trainer, and consultant and he is also a serving inspector. He has an outstanding track record with the company and his courses are well received. In addition to his current headship and his role as an inspector, Paul works as a Learning Consultant and is involved in providing leadership training packages. During his teaching career, Paul has provided in-service training to primary schools. Before becoming a deputy headteacher of a large primary school Paul was also a Strategic Manager of Teaching and Learning, a role which involved working with colleagues developing pedagogical expertise and know-how. All of Paul’s previous headships have been in schools in challenging social contexts. He has led his previous school out of the category that it was placed in at the time of his appointment. It was judged as good at the last inspection. During the four OFSTED and HMI visits he has been praised for his dynamism and vision as a leader. Paul specialises in providing training and consultancy focusing on all aspects of school self evaluation; data analysis, pupil premium and middle and subject leadership.
Very personable tutor, who showed great enthusiasm and had extensive relevant experience.
The information given to us and the delivery of it. Very relevant to my needs.
Relevant information pertinent to OFSTED
Knowledge and understanding of the leadership/management
An understanding of grade descriptors for middle leaders and useful approaches to use in school.
Delivery - information on OFSTED and inspection - time to talk and reflect
Linking school evaluation and points for development with language and formats that other agencies also use - so processes are efficient and effective.
Lots of resources and opportunities to reflect upon practice and plan actions
Everyone made to feel relaxed by the training style. Excellent feedback to individuals every time an answer was given.
Enjoyed working with data – valuable task
Time for reflection –putting new ideas into our personal settings and roles. Practical ideas we can use easily
Chance to share ideas with colleagues. Support/clarification when needed. Examples used in ‘real ‘ schools.
Very useful to work through data – enabled me to understand the Raise
Brilliant data explanation
Clear and concise
Thank you! I have really enjoyed the 3 days. I certainly feel It has developed me as a leader and will impact on teaching and learning at school. The support has been brilliant
How to be more confident in my management role. How to manage staff.
OFSTED information (detailed and explained)
Very engaging manner and presentations (Tutors)
Leading and managing people
All sessions were well planned, thought out and informative, They gave me skills I needed to analyse data, write SIPs observe lessons, and deal with difficult situations.
Documents and information, such as language, Ofsted use, was useful spending time with other members of SLT made the training very useful in developing whole school approaches
Challenging my way of thinking and the strategies I could use on my own practice. Other peoples perceptions and points of view
Delivery, support, understanding the job/role
Ofsted materials, lesson observation, managing people
Very clear progress through day 1 to day 3. Specific strategies/tools shown to support in school. Invaluable having other colleagues from school
Networking, linking to specific issues in current role and school improvement project.
Good presentation style and enthusiasm. Useful tools particularly on day 2
Ability to support an area of need in school. To own development needs eg. confidence, knowledge and understanding of leading and evaluating practice.
The fact that is all relevant and applicable for are roles
The course has enabled me to become more confident in my management role as a whole and I feel I have developed significantly in a short amount of time
There is no formal assessment. Participants will be expected to commit time to recording their leadership learning for the duration of the programme.