Non Members: £190 (excluding VAT)
Members: £171 (excluding VAT)
Course Length: 1 Day
Venue address: PBM Training and Consultancy (Head Office), Heath House Training and Conference Centre, Cheadle Road, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, ST14 7BY
01 December 2017
09 March 2018
22 June 2018
9:30 to 15:30
New to performance management? A guide to appraising non-teaching staff
The workshop is designed for Managers and Headteachers who wish to improve their skills in conducting one-to-one performance reviews as part of a performance management process. The course will consider the skills needed for carrying out effective performance reviews, listening, questioning, gathering information and evidence, rating and feedback. It will also look at the stages of a performance review meeting, whether it is regular supervision or the annual appraisal.
In addition, specific guidelines for setting objectives will be explored. Applications of these skills and techniques to specific situations generated by participants will be discussed and addressed. Performance review meetings will be role-played in small groups.
This is a highly practical workshop and participants learn through a range of training approaches including short demonstrations, skills practice, reflection and discussion.
At the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
- Identify the key stages and individual responsibilities within a performance review process.
- Describe the purpose of performance ratings and how to apply them consistently.
- Apply a robust model for performance management.
- Deliver effective feedback & explore performance issues.
- Identify development outcomes and appropriate learning interventions
- Introductions and overview of the day.
- Identifying why we have performance management processes.
- Review of the components of 1:1 meetings, including listening and questioning skills.
- Preparing for the appraisal meeting. Collecting and evaluating data.
- Assessing motivation and ability. Role play exercises to assess data and rate. Setting and documenting objectives.
- Role – Play performance management situations and their solutions.
- Development planning.
- Action planning.
- “Garry kept us motivated throughout the day- lots of involvement and interaction.”
- “Very clearly presented with informative booklet and powerpoint. I would recommend it to others”.
- “Feel more confident when doing appraisals even though the same difficulties still exist”.
- “Garry was very informative and helped explore ideas/ thinking. Excellent- would certainly recommend it”.
- “The tutor was excellent and very knowledgeable in the course material. Training was relaxed and not too ‘hard going’ but very informative’.
- “Excellent venue, relaxed atmosphere, friendly and helpful staff”.