Non Members: £195 (excluding VAT)
Members: £175.50 (excluding VAT)
Course Length: 1 Day
Venue address: Heath House Conference Centre, Cheadle Road, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, ST14 7BY
01 January 2020
09:30 to 15:30
Motivating, Engaging and Supporting Boys and Reluctant Writers (Primary)
This course is designed to help participants to explore how to engage and motivate boys and reluctant writers in the Primary School.
The course is suitable for First, Primary and Middle teachers. English Subject Leaders. Senior Leadership Teams in Primary schools who wish to address the challenge of engaging boys and reluctant writers.
By the end of the course participants will:
- explore the effective teaching of boys and reluctant writers
- discuss the strategies needed to engage boys and reluctant writers
- explore the best strategies to improve word, sentence and text work
- develop an action plan ( whole-school) to raise standards in boys’ writing
- discuss the use of good, multi-layered texts to engage and motivate children
- to explore the use of speaking, listening and drama activities to engage and motivate learners
Course Overview and In-School Training Information
The course looks at:
- Research on engaging boys and reluctant writers
- The challenges of engaging boys and reluctant writers in the Primary School
- Strategies on how to engage boys and reluctant writers
- Games and activities to encourage boys and reluctant writers
- Top tips on engaging boys and reluctant writers
- Exploring the good practice on raising boys’ attainment
- Motivating boy writers
- Essential strategies for teaching boys effectively
In-School TrainingThis course is available as in-school training. If you would like to find out more about in-school training please go to the in-school training section CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ABOUT IN SCHOOL TRAINING or call us on 01889 567 014
First, Primary and Middle teachers. English Subject Leaders. Senior Leadership Team. To address the challenge of engaging boys and reluctant writers.
Detailed course outline and session time table
Session 1: 9:30-10:45
- Introduction –
- What the research and data show about teaching boys and reluctant writers?
- What do boys and reluctant writers need to be able to engage / be motivated to write effectively?
- The strategies needed to engage boys and reluctant writers
- Improving vocabulary
- Improving sentences
- Improving writing
- Games and activities to engage and motivate
- Using good, multi-layered texts to engage and motivate.
- Suggested texts to motivate boys and reluctant readers and writers
- Using speaking, listening and drama to engage and motivate.
- Developing an action plan to raise standards / to engage and motivate boys and reluctant writers
Excellent delivery by Caroline - practical ideas. Superb evidence and ways of narrowing gap.
Fantastic practical ideas to take back and share with staff. Tasks to inspire writing.
The practical ideas and knowledge of Caroline
Lots of ideas to take back and use to make teaching more lively and interesting. Practical ideas
Practical ideas and engaging presentation Really enjoyed course - full of useful suggestions
Practical activities that enabled us to think from a child's perspective. Hand-out materials can be immediately implemented
Great activity ideas.
Games and practical activities that I can try straight away.
Practical elements to the course
Activity examples/trying them out
The resources provided
Activities we did. Very active - short and sharp
Short, sharp activities easy to remember and adapt
Use of images, teaching ideas, sentences work
A really well rounded course. Thankyou!
Short snappy activities
Excellent strategies to move the child forward
Great ideas and resources.
All was extremely useful
Lots of strategies to share with staff. Great short / sharp tasks which will have a big impact.
Taking part and completing the activities yourself
Use of quality texts to motivate individuals and ideas for mental/oral starters
Lots of different ideas for improving writing lots of practical suggestions.
Examples of activities and photocopies of them in the pack
Sharing of ideas. Photocopies of different ideas
Tutor knowledge and ideas
Lots of ideas to take back to school in class and whole school
Resources were brilliant
Discussion and resources
Strategies given were really useful.
Detailed information, good resources, trainer friendly, helpful, super delivery.
Useful resource pack
The activities were fantastic, engaging.