Non Members: £195.00 (excluding VAT)
Members: £135 (excluding VAT)
Course Length: 1 Day
Venue address: PBM Inspection Services, Heath House Training and Conference Centre, Cheadle Road, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, ST14 7BY
01 January 2020
9.30 to 15.30
Tackling School Improvement Under The Current Inspection Framework
was £195.00+VAT per person
Book 1 place only £175+VAT per person
Book 2 places only £150+VAT per person
Book 3 places only £135+VAT per person
- Examine links between school improvement planning and school self-evaluation.
- Explore the importance of school context, stakeholders, vision, and policy.
- Improve the use of performance outcomes to identify issues, establish root causes, devise and prioritise solutions, and generate objectives.
- Give participants the opportunity to develop key skills, including profiling, auditing, SWOT analysis, setting SMART objectives, solutions and prioritisation matrices, and spidergrams.
- Help participants to use planning and implementation programmes, create a design brief, and use project management effectively.
- Improve writing skills.
Course Overview and In-School Training Information
This one-day course helps senior managers develop effective school improvement planning skills. It covers key aspects of the school improvement planning process and gives examples of good practice. It demonstrates the links with self-evaluation and with national school improvement planning frameworks, and looks at different types of plans. The course lasts one-day and is a mix of direct tuition and skill based learning involving tasks, case study materials, and workshops. The practical activities are mainly completed in groups of two or three participants so that thoughts and evaluations can be shared and compared. Each day has five hours of tuition, divided into four blocks of 1.25 hours.
In-School TrainingThis course is available as in-school training. If you would like to find out more about in-school training please go to the in-school training section CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ABOUT IN SCHOOL TRAINING or call us on 01889 567 014
Senior managers who wish to develop effective school improvement skills.
Detailed course outline and session time table
Session 1What is it all about
- The achievement of the children.
- Drop-in observations.
- Why bother planning?
- Who are plans for?
- Types of plans.
- How is the process to be used?
- Who needs to be involved?
Session 2Starting points
- The inspection report (Nursery and Primary)
- Diagnosing causes
- Your own school
- Aids and barriers to raising achievement
- Profile on entry
- Academic outcomes
- The big picture narrative
Session 3The seven steps to planning
- Templates and forms
- The issue
- The diagnosis
- The target
- The solution
- The action plan
- The programme
- Evaluating success
- Templates and forms.
- Long-term strategic plans and relevant milestones.
Session 4Seeking the views of stakeholders
- Analysing views.
- Exploring views.
- Clarifying stakeholder priorities.
- The policies and inputs used as part of the process
- The programme for improvement
- Planning events
- Planning implementation
Tutor information and course feedback
Tutor:Bruce McAlpine has managed the Company for 18 years. He writes and develops training materials and tutors many of the courses. He is an experienced lead inspector and was an additional inspector. Before becoming an inspector, he taught in infant, primary and middle schools and was a headteacher for seventeen years. His specialist areas include English, mathematics, art, the Foundation Stage, educational management, special educational needs, and English as an additional language. He has an excellent track record as a trainer. We reserve the right to replace the advertised tutor with another appropriately experienced tutor.
“Really enjoyed the training and found it very useful. Tutor was very good also- no nonsense and straight to the point”.
“Very enjoyable and useful. This will form the basis of our S I Plan/ Dev Plan review this term”.
“A working model and clearly distinguished between strategy and improvement planning...very clear-I got it!”.
“Re-focussed minds as to what is needed in improvement plan and what is superfluous”.
A trainer who has a wealth of useful knowledge who adapted the course to meet our needs
A fantastic useful day. Thank you
Having only two delegates meant the course was very specialised & I certainly got a lot from the event
Membership special offers
10 June 2016: