Non Members: £195 (excluding VAT)
Members: £175.50 (excluding VAT)
Course Length: 1 Day
Venue address: PBM Inspection Services, Heath House Training and Conference Centre, Cheadle Road, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, ST14 7BY
15 November 2017
02 March 2018
23 May 2018
09:30 to 15:30
Availability:15 November 2017
1802 March 2018
Assessment through observation in the EYFS: A practical guide
The cost of this course includes a CD with course materials plus a DVD containing a couple of the short film clips used within the course to enable you to disseminate information in your own school.
The course is designed to help Foundation Stage practitioners to use observation to assess the attainment of children in the foundation stage.
By the end of the course, participants will be familiar with:
- observation and assessment methodology;
- assessing individual attainment and group attainment;
- making judgements;
- identifying strengths and weaknesses and next steps in learning;
- establishing priorities, target setting, and planning action to bring about improvement.
Course Overview and In-School Training Information
The course helps participants use criterion referenced observation to assess the attainment of children. It helps participants to understanding in-school formative assessment and in-school summative assessment and to use these when assessing the attainment and progress of individuals and groups. The training is very practical in nature, giving participants the opportunity to discuss observations and learn to apply key criteria.
In-School TrainingThis course is available as in-school training. If you would like to find out more about in-school training please go to the in-school training section CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ABOUT IN SCHOOL TRAINING or call us on 01889 567 014
Practitioners in the Foundation Stage.
Detailed course outline and session time table
Session 1Assessment 2016
- Types of assessment
- Principles of in-school formative assessment
- Principles of in-school summative assessment
- Purposes and principles of assessment: guidance
- Learning, progress and achievement
- Assessment and evaluation
- Assessment and development bands
- Making comparisons
- Criterion referenced assessment
- Fine-tune assessment
- Best fit
Session 2Starting points
- Characteristics of effective learning
- Case Study DVD: QCA clip
- Key points from the relevant documentation Definitions
- Knowledge profiling, best-fit conclusions, and quality assurance
- Case study DVD: role play outdoors, Reception
- Case study DVD: role play indoors
Session 3Benchmark children
- Case study DVD: drawing on the tarmac, Nursery
- Case study DVD: telephone teddy, Reception
- Checking if knowledge is embedded
- Case study DVD: ordering numbers
- When knowledge cannot be demonstrated
Session 4Assessing the attainment of groups
- Case study DVD: spinner and dice
- Case study DVD: outdoors
- Applying the criteria.
- Making judgements.
- Tracking progress termly
- Making judgements
Tutor information and course feedback
Tutor:Bruce McAlpine has managed the Company for 18 years. He writes and develops training materials and tutors many of the courses. He is an experienced lead inspector and was an additional inspector. Before becoming an inspector, he taught in infant, primary and middle schools and was a headteacher for seventeen years. His specialist areas include English, mathematics, art, the Foundation Stage, educational management, special educational needs, and English as an additional language. He has an excellent track record as a consultant and trainer. The company reserves the right to replace the named tutor with another appropriately qualified tutor.
I have much clearer understanding of purpose of assessment, nature of planning and self-evaluation
Excellent information and great teaching
No waffle! Totally focussed and all useful
Great, useful information given to both teachers and leadership
Well paced, interesting and challenging
I think we could do with another day of this!
Fantastic subject knowledge, explained in a very clear + logical way. Fantastic venue, food + facilities.
Explained in detail, with examples & able to have a go
Extremely informative and EYFS specific. Very useful!
Small group, tailored to needs
The information given to enable me to make judgements on children.
The chance to discuss our own school situations with respect to the course material.