Non Members: £195 (excluding VAT)
Members: £175 (excluding VAT)
Course Length: 1 Day
Venue address: Heath House Conference Centre, Cheadle Road, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, ST14 7BY
23 May 2018
09:30 to 15:30
Good Schools: Are you ready for one-day section 8 short inspection?Aimed at:
This course is designed for headteachers, principals, senior and middle managers including subject and phase leaders, leaders of departments or school improvement teams and anyone with specific leadership responsibility whose school will be in receipt of a short inspection in the near future.Course details:
This intensive one-day course looks in detail at the process and implications of a short inspection. Participants will have a better understanding of how their performance data may be interpreted to develop potential lines of enquiry during an inspection. Throughout the day there will be opportunities to reflect on the school’s current strengths and weaknesses and what evidence will be needed to demonstrate the impact of school improvement capacity. This course helps participants to identify how they can succinctly evidence their self-evaluation which reflects the quality of overall effectiveness of their school. It will also reflect on aspects of current practice/ quality of provision that may be inspected.
By the end of the course participants will:
- Understand the process involved in short tariff inspection
- Have gained a better understanding of how the inspection dashboard may be interpreted
- Have established potential lines of enquiry from their own inspection dashboard
- Be able to succinctly identify strengths and weaknesses of their own school and have prepared how to articulate these clearly
- Have explored the variety of inspection activities that may be conducted during a short inspection
- Gained a better understanding of the Section 8 inspection guidance
- Understand the process and implications of conversion from a Section 8 to a Section 5 inspection
- Have a better understanding of the evidence required to support the school’s assertions about its provision
Detailed course outline and session time table
Session 1: 9:30-10:45 Short inspection process
- Section 8 guidance
- Bespoke process
- Rationale and structure
- Summary of strengths and weaknesses
- Analysing different key indicators
- Link to previous recommendations
- Strengths and weaknesses
- Implications for conversion to section 5
- Summary of self -evaluation of school
- Agree lines of enquiry and inspection activities
- Links to current provision
- Robust evidence to support SSE
- Links to wider inspection outcomes
- Identify additional evidence bases
- What next?
- Implications of today?
An excellent presentation (as usual). Gave me alot of useful tools to use back in school.As usual an excellent lunch. Thank you
Extremely relevant, informative and provided us with lots to think about. Thank you
Tutor so knowledgeable.
Clear insight into format of one day inspections, leadership/management implications plus clarity of progress data.
A really useful informative day. Thank you very much.
Useful and practical guidance.
Resources - especially templates
A very worthwhile, productive day, thank you.
Depth of knowledge of the tutor and supporting documentation.
Guidance notes and templates to use back in school.
Personable tutor, real life data and scenarios.
Very relevant to our current needs as a senior leadership team.
All training materials and the opportunity to talk about key data issues was very useful in identifying our next steps.
The tutor was flexible and adapted the session to our needs of our school and our questions.
The tutor was very informative and really supported us well.
An excellent course very clear and precise - it has really helped me to think critically about inspection and current school documentation.
Having the templates of everything discussed and having time built into the day to start some of the tasks.
Examples and proformas
Good clear advice and suggestions.
Knowledge of trainer and resources
Pace, clear structure of the sessions, delivery
11 September 2017
Members book 1 place: £175+VAT
Members book 2 places: £145+VAT per person
Members book 3 places: £125+VAT per person